Related News

Home » Nation

Training camp where student died was unlicensed: report

A TRAINING camp in Guangxi where a student was allegedly beaten to death by teachers was operating without a license for three months, Shanghai Morning Post reported today.

Qihang Salvation Training Camp, which claimed to treat young people addicted to the Internet and other problems, never registered with authorities in Nanning city, the newspaper reported.

The camp is run under the name of Guangzhou Lizhi Sports Service Agency and had already been banned in Guangzhou, according to the report.

Nanning government didn't explain how the school could operate for three months without a license.

Deng Senshan, a youth under 16 years of age, was beaten to death on August 2, only 12 hours after being sent to the camp to cure his Internet addiction.

His body was covered with scratches and there was evidence of blood clots in his mouth and nose, the youth's father Deng Fei claimed, showing pictures he took at the funeral home on Sunday night.

"I want an explanation and apology from the school but there's no response so far," the father was quoted as saying.

He was told the youth had been confined to a room and beaten although the camp head, Xia Zheng, insisted Deng died from high fever, the report said. But Xia admitted Deng had fought with his teacher in the afternoon.

"He was asked to run in the playground soon after we left," the father said. "The teacher even asked two other students to push him despite the fact he couldn't run any further."

Deng was not happy to be sent to the camp but he didn't say no to their decision, the father said, adding he was a good boy who started recently to be addicted to the Internet.

Before leaving the camp Deng's mother asked whether the boy would be beaten. Teachers promised he wouldn't, the report said.

Deng was taken to hospital about 3am on Sunday and was pronounced dead at 3:40am.
Doctors' records show Deng developed fever, vomiting and convulsions at midnight but received no treatment for his condition.

School head Xia Zheng said new comers have to run 5,000 meters but it was hard for Deng to finish because of his weight. That's why Deng and the teacher fought, Xia said.

There are 24 teachers in the school and four have been detained over the matter. One is retired from the Special Forces, two graduated from sports college and the other has outdoor activity experience, the school head said. Among 120 students, 90 percent are from Guangxi. Xia promised to refund some tuition fees if the school is shut down.

Police have closed the school and all training is stopped but students still live on campus, the report said. However other parents have visited the school since learning of Deng's death whereas in the past they were not allowed to see their children.

Deng is his family's only son and his parents are in their fifties. "I put too much time and energy into my work and neglected communication with my son," Deng Fei was quoted as saying. "That's why he became addicted to the Internet."

"I'm not sure whether other students are maltreated in the camp," the father said, "but I hope the death of my son will be a warning to their parents.

"Such tragedy can be avoided if parents spend more time with their children."


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend