Share Story

Related News

Home » National

Angry judge orders lawyer to be handcuffed

A JUDGE had a lawyer handcuffed to a basketball hoop and left him there in the hot sun for 40 minutes.

The judge had been angered when the lawyer refused to sign a Record of a court hearing because the lawyer said it omitted one of his objections.

Yesterday the lawyer, surnamed He, published an indictment filed against the judge, Hong Meng with the Chengjiang County People's Court in Yunnan Province's Yuxi County, on his online blog, today's Beijing Times reported.

Judge Hong Meng was angered by He when he refused to sign the court record after a hearing on Friday. He ordered the court police take He out of the courtroom and have him handcuffed him to a basketball hoop in the court yard, the report said.

He was only released after standing in the burning sun for 40 minutes, when the court's vice director Hong Jiajing learned about the case and ordered his release.

The court's superior, Yuxi City People's Intermediate Court, was ordered to investigate and has confirmed the story. The intermediate court said yesterday it was considering punishment for the judge and others involved.

He was representing the defendant party in a land dispute case which was being heard on Friday. He suggested adding the plaintiff's daughter-in-law as one of the parties in the case. The suggestion was turned down by Hong Meng.

When it came to all parties signing the record of the proceedings, He found that his suggestion was not included in the record. He refused to sign and rewrote his suggestion in the document.

This threw the judge into a rage.

Yuxi and Chengjiang courts officials and Hong Meng visited He in Kunming, capital of Yunnan, and apologized to him.

But He is not going to forgive the judge, who he described in the indictment bill as "having committed a crime" by insulting him and denying him his legal rights.

He planned to hand the indictment to the Yunnan Province People's Procuratorate today.

"I am asking the procuratorate to file a lawsuit," he wrote in the indictment. "The judge, while detaining me by handcuffing me for 40 minutes, also confiscated my mobile phone and deleted some information I had stored there."

He said it was the first time he had ever encountered such embarrassment in his career. He had worked as a judge himself for 10 years before becoming a lawyer in 2005.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号