The story appears on

Page A7

September 20, 2009

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Sports » Rugby

All Blacks crush Wallabies

NEW Zealand's forwards ground down a young Australia side in the second half to clinch a 33-6 victory in the final Tri-Nations match of the season in Wellington yesterday.

Wing Cory Jane scored his first test try while Ma'a Nonu and Joe Rokocoko touched down in the final five minutes to confirm the home team's superiority at Westpac Stadium.

Daniel Carter kicked 18 points for the All Blacks with four penalties and three conversions. Wallabies flyhalf Matt Giteau slotted an early penalty and inside center Berrick Barnes booted a first-half drop goal.

It was the sixth successive defeat against New Zealand for Australia and left the Wallabies with the wooden spoon after South Africa clinched the Tri-Nations title last week.

Holding a 16-6 lead at halftime, the All Blacks took control in the second period with their forwards gaining superiority at the scrum and turning the ball over at breakdowns.

"We had some very good first-phase ball from the lineout and scrum and as the game went on that gave us a lot to work off," All Blacks coach Graham Henry told reporters.

"I thought the work at the tackle area, by all the forwards but by the three loose forwards in particular, was exceptional. They played really well and turned over a lot of ball in that area and put a lot of pressure on."

Giteau opened the scoring with an eighth-minute penalty before New Zealand took a 9-3 lead after 22 minutes with three penalties.

The Wallabies reduced the deficit when Barnes slotted a 35-meter drop goal.

Center Isaia Toeava was sinbinned for a dangerous high tackle on fullback James O'Connor but the All Blacks kept Australia scoreless in that 10 minutes and extended their lead when Jane climbed above O'Connor to take a high Mils Muliaina kick.

He then shrugged off a poor tackle from Drew Mitchell to score his first test try in the right-hand corner and give the hosts a 16-6 halftime lead.

Carter added his fourth penalty early in the second half but despite their territorial advantage the All Blacks were unable to add to the score until the 75th when Nonu burst through. Rokocoko then sealed victory in the final minute.

"The All Blacks were hugely desperate and they played very well," Wallabies coach Robbie Deans said. "The most disappointing thing from our perspective was we capitulated once the game had gone, which was pretty late to be fair.

"We were hammering away but the All Blacks defended very well to their credit."

The two sides next clash in a Bledisloe Cup encounter in Tokyo on October 31.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend