Related News

Home » Sports » Rugby

Waugh celebrates as Waratahs down Highlanders

AUSTRALIA flanker Phil Waugh celebrated his 100th Super 14 appearance by leading the New South Wales Waratahs to a 34-16 win over New Zealand's Otago Highlanders yesterday.

The Waratahs outscored Otago four tries to one to collect their second bonus point of the season and remain undefeated after three matches while handing the Highlanders a third straight loss.

"It was a much better effort than last week ... but we've still got plenty to work on," Waugh said.

The Waratahs struggled for most of the first half, going behind 0-6 to two Daniel Bowden penalties, but still managed to lead 17-9 at the change of ends.

Wallaby wing Lote Tuqiri scored after a clever grubber kick from flyhalf Kurtley Beale and flanker Ben Mowen crossed in injury time after Beale combined with Sam Norton-Knight.

The Waratahs stretched their lead when No. 8 Wycliff Palu barged over two minutes after the re-start to effectively seal the result, despite a try from Otago skipper Jason Shoemark.

NSW clinched the bonus point for a fourth try when reserve scrumhalf Brett Sheehan scored under the posts two minutes from the end.

"We just played too much footy down in our own half and we couldn't get out," Shoemark said. "The Waratahs defense was awesome tonight and we just couldn't get going."

In Wellington, a superb kicking display by Wellington flyhalf Piri Weepu carried the Hurricanes to a 30-24 win over the Canterbury Crusaders.

Weepu landed three penalties and three conversions as the Hurricanes produced their best performance of the season to snap a seven-match losing streak against their fierce New Zealand rivals.

Four tries

The Crusaders outscored the Hurricanes four tries to three but were outplayed for most of the match in Chistchurch, leading for just three minutes.

"It was a hell of a battle out there," Crusaders captain Richie McCaw said.

"We let them get away from us in the first half ... they got the momentum and we left it a wee bit too late."

The Hurricanes opened the scoring with two Weepu penalties but the Crusaders scored the first try through center Casey Laulala.

Colin Slade converted to put them briefly ahead but the Hurricanes piled on 10 unanswered points to lead 17-6 at halftime with teenage winger Zac Guildford scoring in the corner and Weepu adding the extras from the sideline then a third penalty.

The Crusaders pulled back to within four points when lock Brad Thorn charged over but Wellington again took control.

Scrumhalf Alby Mathewson scooped up a loose Crusaders pass to score then center Ma'a Nonu burst through a hole on the hour, giving the visitors a commanding 30-12 led.

The defending champions finished strongly with Jared Payne and Thomas Waldrom both scoring tries to give them two bonus points but not enough for the win.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend