The story appears on

Page A13

August 21, 2009

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Sports » Soccer

Burnley shocks United, Liverpool crushes Stoke

BURNLEY celebrated its first home match in the top division for 33 years with a shock 1-0 victory over Premier League champion Manchester United at Turf Moor on Wednesday.

Robbie Blake struck a superb volley from outside the box in the 19th minute and United wasted the chance to equalize when Michael Carrick saw his penalty well saved by Brian Jensen just before the break. United piled on the pressure in the second half but an inspired Jensen and some wasteful finishing kept it at bay.

Liverpool put an opening defeat to Tottenham Hotspur behind it with a 4-0 victory over Stoke City with Fernando Torres opening the scoring.

Tottenham is the new league leader after thrashing Hull City 5-1 with England striker Jermain Defoe grabbing a hat-trick. It leads Chelsea on goal difference after Carlo Ancelotti's side made it two wins from two with victory over Sunderland on Tuesday.

Burnley, which won the second of its two league championships in 1960, is back in the top flight for the first time since 1976.

"The chances we've had we should have won the match," United manager Alex Ferguson told Sky Sports news. "Burnley got the victory in 10 minutes in the first half. They played very well."

Burnley took its surprise lead with Blake's beautifully taken volley and escaped an equalizer minutes before halftime when Blake tripped Patrice Evra in the box only for Carrick to miss the spot kick. Michael Owen, substituted in front of England coach Fabio Capello on the hour after failing to make an impact, made way for Berbatov who improved United's attack but Burnley held on.

Liverpool went ahead at home to Stoke early on when Spanish striker Fernando Torres met Steven Gerrard's cross to score before Glen Johnson grabbed a second just before the break.

Great work from captain Gerrard allowed Dutchman Dirk Kuyt to add a third on 78 minutes and David Ngog added a fourth late in the game.

Birmingham City's 1-0 victory over Portsmouth meant there is yet to be a drawn match in the new season.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend