The story appears on

Page B16

August 31, 2009

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Sports » Soccer

Man U fights back to defeat unlucky Gunners

WAYNE Rooney's penalty and an own goal by Abou Diaby gave Manchester United a 2-1 victory over Arsenal in the Premier League on Saturday while Chelsea and Tottenham both won to stay neck-and-neck at the top of the standings.

Manchester City continued its hot start to the season, defeating Portsmouth 1-0 yesterday. City now has three wins from three games. Emmanuel Adebayor headed the only goal in the 30th minute on a cross from Gareth Barry.

Arsenal went ahead through a 20-meter strike by Andrei Arshavin in the 40th minute at Old Trafford in a game marred by many fouls and needless yellow cards. But Rooney equalized in the 59th from the penalty spot after he had been brought down by Arsenal goalkeeper Manuel Almunia and Diaby headed a free kick from Ryan Giggs into his own net five minutes later.

Wenger furious

A minute before Arshavin's goal, Arsenal should have had a penalty when the Russian was brought down by Darren Fletcher and Robin van Persie hit the United crossbar with a bending free kick.

Van Persie had the ball in the net in the fifth minute of injury time but it was ruled out for offside against William Gallas.

The game ended with farcical scenes when Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, furious at some of the referee's decisions, was ordered off the bench and sent to the stands.

Peter Crouch headed Tottenham in front of Birmingham from a free kick by Tom Huddlestone in the 72nd minute against Birmingham.

Three minutes later Lee Bowyer equalized but Lennon fired home Roman Pavlyuchenko's cross for the winner in injury time.

The Spurs received some bad news however as midfielder Luka Modric will be out for at least six weeks after breaking a bone in his right fibula, the club said yesterday.

Steven Gerrard scored Liverpool's 83rd minute winner after last season's runner up had twice trailed at Bolton.

Kevin Davies fired Bolton ahead and, although Glen Johnson equalized, Tamir Cohen made it 2-1 in the 47th minute. Bolton had Sean Davies sent off for two yellow cards in the 54th and, two minutes later, Fernando Torres scored to level it.

"There was a lot of soul-searching throughout the week and the manager told us he wanted to see character, determination and intensity," said Gerrard. "I think he got the three things he asked for."

In other games, Stoke beat Sunderland 1-0, Blackburn and West Ham drew 0-0 and Wolves and Hull finished 1-1.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend