The story appears on

Page B16

September 12, 2009

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Sports » Tennis

Nadal left stranded as rain halts play

AFTER 10 days of clear weather, rain and winds swept through Flushing Meadows on Thursday, tossing the US Open's final weekend into disarray and stranding Rafael Nadal and Fernando Gonzalez in the midst of their quarterfinal.

For the second year running, Nadal faces the prospect of playing a string of successive days at the year's last major if he is to win the only grand slam missing from his collection.

Nadal was leading Gonzalez 7-6, 6-6 with the Chilean serving at 2-3 in the tiebreak when a second shower burst halted Day 11 proceedings at Arthur Ashe Stadium.

The eventual winner of the last men's quarterfinal will meet Argentine Juan Martin del Potro, who had battled through blustery conditions to beat Croatian 16th seed Marin Cilic 4-6, 6-3, 6-2, 6-1.

Nadal and Gonzalez were to resume their battle late yesterday following the first women's semifinal pitting champion Serena Williams against Kim Clijsters.

The semifinal between Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark and Belgian Yanina Wickmayer will follow the men's contest.

A year after Nadal's semifinal against eventual runner-up Andy Murray spilled into a second day because of the remnants of Tropical Storm Hanna, the Spaniard again ran into foul weather.

Nadal, his groundstroke drives piercing through the swirling winds, lost just one point on his serve until the 11th game when he had to fend off two set points to stretch it into a tiebreaker.

After winning the tiebreak 7-4, Nadal took timeout to have a trainer treat his strained abdominal muscle before beginning the second set.

They managed to play only four more games when a cold drizzle forced the first interruption of the match.

"In the first set it (the abdominal strain) was very very bad," Nadal's uncle and coach Toni Nadal told reporters.

Seventy-five minutes later they returned to a three-quarter-full stadium where the temperature had considerably dipped and gusting winds swirled through center court.

Nadal was on the verge of clinching the second set in the 10th game. Gonzalez saved two set points with service winners, but the Spaniard appeared ready to pounce on his third when flying debris caused the umpire to halt play in mid-point.

As Nadal pumped his fist in disgust, the umpire announced to the crowd: "Ladies and gentlemen, will you please make sure you don't leave any napkins or plastic bags around."

The 11th-seeded Chilean saved the replayed set point with a forehand winner and took the second set into another tiebreak.

Seconds later, the players were sent back to the locker room again. After hanging around for nearly two more hours until just after midnight, organizers sent everyone home.

While Nadal and Gonzalez faced an anxious night, Del Potro was already celebrating his second grand slam semifinal of the year.

Fighting back after losing the first set and trailing 1-3 in the second, the Argentine induced Cilic into a flood of groundstroke errors and the demoralized Croat lost 17 of the final 20 games.

Cilic had 53 unforced errors in all, compared to just 24 for Del Potro.

"My dream is to win this tournament," said the soft-spoken Argentine, who also reached this year's French Open semis.

"It's my favorite surface, the biggest stadium. Many Argentines come here to see the match. So for me, it's the best one."

Five-time champion Roger Federer and fourth seed Novak Djokovic will contest the other semifinal of the year's final grand slam tournament.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend