The story appears on

Page A12

October 21, 2015

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

HomeWorld

Delhi court finds Uber driver guilty in 2014 rape

An Indian Uber taxi driver was convicted yesterday of raping a young female passenger in the capital last year, a case that sparked fresh fears in a city plagued by sexual violence.

Uber was banned from operating in New Delhi in the aftermath of the December 5 attack, which sparked accusations it failed to conduct adequate background checks, although the ban has never been fully enforced.

The Delhi court found Shiv Kumar Yadav guilty of raping the 25-year-old woman as she returned home from dinner with friends in the Indian capital.

鈥淗e has been convicted and found to be guilty for all charges against him, which include rape,鈥 public prosecutor Atul Shrivastava said after the verdict was delivered.

He will be sentenced on October 23 after being convicted on four charges 鈥 rape, abduction, intimidation and causing harm.

Defense lawyer Dharmender Kumar Mishra said his client would appeal the verdict at a higher court after a careful study of the latest judgement.

Shortly after the attack it emerged that Yadav had been accused of assaulting other women, although he had no previous convictions.

Yadav was tried by one of the fast-track courts introduced in 2013 following the fatal gang-rape of a student on a bus in Delhi, a crime that sparked nationwide protests about India鈥檚 treatment of women.

The Uber rape occurred days before the second anniversary of the attack on the bus, which earned Delhi the title of India鈥檚 鈥渞ape capital鈥 and shone a harsh spotlight on the issue of violence against women.


 

Copyright 漏 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

娌叕缃戝畨澶 31010602000204鍙

Email this to your friend