Related News

Home » World

Young boy sticks with dead mom

AN eight-year-old American boy lived for more than a week with the body of his dead mother before telling a concerned shopkeeper his mom was "in a better place," police said.

Gaynell Tipado, 41, apparently died on January 9 in their apartment in the Detroit suburb of Romulus, and the boy survived in part by eating dried rice, butter and flour, authorities said.

The family moved to Michigan from Louisiana after surviving Hurricane Katrina in 2005. An autopsy is being prepared but foul play is not suspected in Tipado's death.

Lee Saco told The Associated Press that the boy and his mother came into his store, Romulus Liquor, regularly for about a year and a half. But four times during the past week the boy walked about a block to the store by himself ?? sometimes through Arctic cold and other times wearing pajama bottoms.

Saco said he questioned the boy about his mother when he first came into the store by himself - to buy milk, chips, candy and bread with cash. During the next two visits, he said the boy bought a number of items, including bread.

Saco, who co-owns the store with his brother Sam, said his concern heightened on Monday when the boy tried to buy US$34.80 worth of groceries, including nacho cheese dip, processed ham and turkey, hamburger buns, doughnuts and candy, with his mother's credit card.

Saco then asked the boy if he could speak to his mother. "Is she alive?" Saco asked the boy.

"She's in a better place," replied the boy, who later told Saco he'd tried to revive his mother by pushing on her chest in an apparent attempt at CPR.

"I sat him down, gave him chocolate milk. Then I called (police)," Saco said.

Police arrived and took the boy home. They called Saco about 10 minutes later to tell him the boy's mother was dead.

The boy was home-schooled, has no siblings and his father died several years ago, authorities said. The child is in foster care while police try to locate his other relatives, Romulus police Lt John Leacher said.

"It's sad. It's very hard. It's very unfortunate for him," said Saco, 36, a father of three young children. "I just feel bad. What he had to see for 11 days. He came from a good home."


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend