The story appears on

Page A5

August 13, 2010

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro

Couple in hospital after leaving a gas stove on

A COUPLE was in hospital when they were poisoned by gas after they left a stove on yesterday in their dilapidated residence in Hongkou District.

The couple, in their 80s, were lying in bed when firefighters broke the windows and crawled into their home on Hongzhen Old Street.

They were taken to Xinhua Hospital.

The woman has almost recovered, but her husband, surnamed Zhou, is still in critical condition, said a doctor at the hospital.

An initial investigation showed the couple had misused an old-style stove as the gas was on when they were rescued.

Neighbors said they called for emergency help as the couple usually gets up at 5am, but no one had seen them by 8am.

"They often forget to turn off the stove," neighbors said.

Meanwhile, a blast blamed on a gas leak swept through a residential building in Changning District on Wednesday night, injuring two people.

A man turned on the kitchen lights, sparking the blast as gas had accumulated in the room due to a leak.

The man was still in a critical condition after suffering burns to 60 percent of his skin.

A woman was cut by broken glass.

"The blast was so loud and shook the whole building like an earthquake," said a neighbor.

More than 20 households had to spend the night at a nearby hotel since power and gas supplies had been cut for safety reasons.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend