The story appears on

Page A5

August 8, 2011

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro

Exhaust fumes kill lovers in Valentine's Day tragedy

TWO lovers died from carbon monoxide poisoning on Saturday, Chinese Valentine's Day, after leaving their car engine running in the garage, officials said yesterday.

The pair, in their 20s who were not named, drove into the private garage of their villa in suburban Songjiang District after having lunch with the man's parents on Saturday.

The man's mother opened the garage door about 5pm and discovered her son and his girlfriend lying beside the vehicle, said Wu Yunlin, a community official.

They were rushed to hospital but pronounced dead after 40 minutes of treatment.

Songjiang police say they have ruled out homicide.

Community officials said the man, a senior college student, and his nurse girlfriend locked the door of the 15-square-meter garage from the inside after driving in.

They left the engine and air-conditioner running, releasing exhaust fumes into the enclosed space.

The toxic emissions, mainly carbon monoxide, poisoned the young couple, community officials said.

Also on Saturday, a man jumped to his death in the Pudong New Area after killing his girlfriend during a row over affairs.

Saturday was the Qixi Festival, or seventh day of the seventh month according to the Chinese lunar calendar.

Some 3,342 couples got married in Shanghai on Saturday, double last year's number, according to the Shanghai Civil Affairs Bureau.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend