The story appears on

Page A2

June 24, 2013

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Share Story

Related News

Home » Metro

Factory director held after 6 killed in shooting spree

A MAN has been detained after a shooting spree in Shanghai in which six people, including a barracks guard, were killed.

Police said the incident began at around 5pm on Saturday when the 62-year-old, surnamed Fan, beat a colleague to death at the Guangyu Fine Chemicals factory at 581 Yueluo Highway in Baoshan District after an argument.

The dispute was over the plant's economic difficulties, police said yesterday.

Fan, a director of the company, is said to have been arguing with two colleagues, surnamed Li and Zhang, over the transfer of factory equipment. The factory ceased operations in May.

Fan beat Zhang to death during the altercation, police said.

He then took a hunting rifle that had been hidden in a dormitory and jumped into a cab.

Police said Fan shot the driver, surnamed Bian, when they were on Hunan Highway near Shendu Highway in the Pudong New Area. After the killing, Fan drove the vehicle back to Baoshan and killed a guard at the entrance to a naval barracks and stole his gun. Another guard was shot and injured.

Fan then returned to the factory and fatally shot three more people with his hunting rifle, including Li, his business partner.

Police said they captured Fan in the factory about six hours after the killing spree had begun.

At least four people were being treated for gunshot wounds at the city's Changhai Hospital.

They included a police officer shot at the factory when Fan was detained and the barracks guard, Xinhua news agency reported.

Li, who was from neighboring Zhejiang Province, is said to have sold a 40 percent share in the private company to Fan about 18 months ago.

The chemical plant had been established for more than 10 years and was once highly profitable with its products mostly used in medicine and textiles. However, business is said to have declined sharply in recent years.

The owner of a nearby equipment repair company said Li had been involved in several disputes over debt. The owner, also surnamed Zhang, said Li owed him 30,000 yuan (US$4,887) alone.

He said Li and Fan came to blows two days before and he saw bloodstains on Li's clothes afterward.

According to the Oriental Morning Post, Li owned one supplier 2.35 million yuan. Employees said they had not been paid for nearly a month and equipment had been auctioned to raise money.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号