The story appears on

Page A4

August 31, 2010

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro

Gang-related violence raises head in Jiading, man run over

IT almost had all the elements of a mafia movie but it was not a show.

Crawling out of a black Audi after it was rammed into by an unlicensed SUV, a young man struggled to escape from six or seven men jumping out of the SUV, waving long knives and chasing after him.

Then suddenly the SUV backed up and turned around, catching up with the man, hitting him from the back and running over his body.

The suspected gang fight ended with the death of the 24-year-old man at an intersection in Jiading District early yesterday morning.

Jiading police said they were hunting for the gang members and were still looking into the case. They were not sure whether the incident was related to reprisals between rival gangs.

According to police, the man, surnamed Liu, was killed when he was hit by the SUV; they found black tire marks on his body and his feet bones were fractured.

But the police didn't find any signs showing the man had been stabbed by the group of men who were seen chasing him behind the SUV.

The accident took place at about 4:10am at the intersection of Fengzhuang Road W. and Qingyu Road when an unlicensed SUV rammed into a black Audi carrying a Zhejiang Province plate, a witness said.

The witness said a man crawled out of the Audi and started to run desperately along Fengzhuang Road W.

"The SUV, as well as a group of armed men, gave him chase all the way," the witness added.

The SUV caught up with the man and knocked him down in high speed. The vehicle then paused for a short while in front of the man lying on the ground, face down, and squashed over his back, according to the witness.

The men carrying knives later arrived but they didn't touch the man, probably thinking he was already dead, said the witness.

The SUV and the gang members fled the scene before police arrived.

Police found the man lying in the middle of the road and rushed him to a nearby hospital, but an emergency operation failed to revive him.

Police sealed off the area and at 10am yesterday, blood and tire skid marks could still be seen on the ground where Liu lay.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend