Related News

Home » Metro

Gas poisoning strikes 16 girls in their dormitory

SIXTEEN girls living in a commercial-residential building in Zhabei District suffered gas poisoning and were rushed to hospital early this morning.

Doctors at People's Liberation Army 411 Hospital said they were suffering from oxygen deprivation after they had all bathed in an overcrowded room, the Shanghai Evening Post reported.

The girls are out of danger after treatment.

Security guards in the building on Baoshan Road heard them crying for help in the Xincheng Building at 3am. Four ambulances and two police cars took the girls the nearby hospital.

The girls, from a beauty salon on Sichuan North Road, said they remembered nothing except being taken to the hospital and feeling light-headed. Two male colleagues coming to take care of them refused to talk to the media.

Twelve of the girls had returned to their dormitory at around 11pm last night and went to bed after having baths. Four others returned at around 1am and one, feeling the room was stuffy, opened a window slightly.

One of the girls felt something was wrong soon afterwards but collapsed when she tried to stand up. This woke the others who found they had trouble standing as well and they shouted for help.

Experts are examining the room.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend