The story appears on

Page A5

March 10, 2011

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro

Man with fishing rod electrocuted

A MAN was believed to have been electrocuted by a high-voltage rail cable while carrying a long fishing pole across a railway track in suburban Jiading District yesterday morning.

Police have started an investigation.

The 46-year-old man, surnamed Li, was burned beyond recognition, said officers.

The incident took place around 8am at Jiangqiao Town. The railway power cable was 8 meters above but Li's fishing rod was still long enough to touch it.

He also stepped on the metal rails when the rod made contact with the high-voltage cable, according to witnesses.

"A flock of sparrows flew up into the air, following a big bang," said an elderly woman who witnessed the incident from her home. "I looked over and saw the man was smouldering."

The victim was fishing at a creek near the railway. He didn't catch any fish and was believed to be heading to another stretch when he failed to notice the danger from the power cable above, witnesses said.

"He just had breakfast at home, and now he's gone. How can you accept something like this?" said a relative of the victim.

The relative questioned the lack of prominent warnings around the area.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend