The story appears on

Page A2

September 29, 2011

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro

More victims treated in hospital

THE number of injured in Tuesday's Metro train collision in Shanghai rose to 284 after another 13 people were admitted to hospital yesterday morning.

Meanwhile, services on Line 10, which was closed between Yili Road and Hailun Road stations after the crash, resumed at 8pm yesterday, but trains were running at a reduced speed.

Passenger numbers seemed to be unaffected by the crash although not many people were choosing to sit in the rear carriages.

Daniel, a 21-year-old student from Denmark who uses Line 10 to get to Tongji University, said the accident would not put him off using the line. Yesterday he had to get to school by taxi and bus.

Shanghai Health Bureau said 189 people had left hospital by 9am yesterday, while the remainder were still being treated in hospital. All were in a stable condition, the bureau said.

Seven foreigners were among the injured. Two Japanese, a Canadian and a Filipino have already left hospital after treatment for arm and leg injuries while the other three are still being treated.

The youngest victim was a baby girl just five months old, while three were children below the age of 10 and 18 were aged 70 or older. The baby is back home after medical checks. She suffered only slight bruising in the accident.

Intensive care

The oldest victim was an 85-year-old woman who is still in the intensive care unit at Changzheng Hospital as she has a previous heart condition. Doctors said she was in a stable condition.

There are another three passengers in the hospital's ICU. They suffered severe rib factures but their condition wasn't life threatening, said a hospital official.

At Shuguang Hospital, 30-year-old Wang Peng, whose wife was admitted with a fractured collar bone, asked Metro officials who were visiting the hospital for an explanation for the accident.

One told him that was not possible as the accident was still under investigation. But he promised the couple and the other injured patients and their relatives that all the injured would receive compensation, the details of which were still being discussed.

Despite shuttle buses running between Yili Road and Hailun Road yesterday, there were lengthy delays for morning commuters. The situation had improved by evening after more buses went into service.

Many passengers who usually transferred to Line 10 from Line 4 at Hailun Road packed into buses leaving the station. "The buses were already pretty crowded when dispatched from the temporary terminal stop," said a Metro worker.

At other stops on the route only three or four passengers were able to squeeze onto the buses, leaving long queues behind.

Metro staff were on hand to usher passengers to bus pick-up points and at other stations information about the disruption was being broadcast repeatedly.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend