The story appears on

Page A5

April 3, 2013

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro

Mystery surrounds Taiwanese's death in fire

A TAIWANESE merchant died in a fire on Monday night at his apartment on Jinhui Road, Minhang District, after his creditors showed up at his place with gasoline, witnesses said.

Police was still investigating and had not ruled out the possibility of arson.

The fire started about 9:30pm on the third floor of a seven-storied building in 518 Jinhui Road. The fire department put out the fire in 10 minutes, but the victim, a man in his 60s, was found dead.

The gas company switched off the supply to prevent the fire from spreading.

Preliminary investigation showed the fire was mostly concentrated in the bedroom.

Neighbors also confirmed that they smelled gasoline before the fire on Monday night.

The victim ran a wine business but struggled to pay salaries to his employees and was unable to pay rent as well, said the landlord.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend