The story appears on

Page A4

February 6, 2013

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro

Plans in the works for a new reservoir

SHANGHAI is studying the possibility of building a reservoir on the upstream of the Huangpu River that will provide drinking water to the locals, city officials revealed yesterday.

Zhang Jiayi, director of the Shanghai Water Authority, said the bureau is searching for a better water source along the upper streams of the Huangpu in Taihu Lake in neighboring Jiangsu Province.

"The water from Taihu is good and we're thinking of pumping water from the lake to a new reservoir with pipelines," Zhang said.

"After the chemical leak last month, we believe we have to do something to improve the water supply to the districts that are still drinking water from the Huangpu."

The plan is still in the conceptual stage and will be studied by experts before it is implemented.

Currently, 70 percent of the city's population get clean drinking water from the Qingcaosha Reservoir, while the other 30 percent, essentially residents in Fengxian, Qingpu, Jinshan, Songjiang and parts of Minhang District, get their drinking water from the Huangpu River.

Before the new reservoir becomes a reality, some small water plants in Songjiang and Jinshan districts will be shut down this year.

The affected areas will be supplied water from bigger plants which will be linked by pipelines, Zhang said.

More than 200 kilometers of new large vent pipe networks will be built and 700 kilometers of small vent pipe networks will be renovated in the affected areas.

Over 600,000 water meters will be replaced this year as part of the plan.

Nod for Qingcaosha

Meanwhile, Zhang emphasized that water from the Qingcaosha Reservoir was good for consumption after some experts expressed doubts about its operational life span, especially with thousands of kilometers of the Yangtze being polluted.

"Their arguments lacked scientific evidence," Zhang said. "The raw water in the middle of the Yangtze is on the third-level and when it flows into our reservoir it turns to second-level after purification."

Zhang said they would also publish details of water production ahead of the planned hike in water prices.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend