The story appears on

Page A4

February 15, 2011

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro

Poison fumes kill 2 in apartment

TWO people died and another was overcome by fumes in a suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at a home in Yangpu District yesterday evening. Police said they found a suicide note at the scene.

A man and a woman were pronounced dead at the fifth-floor apartment while another man is receiving emergency treatment at a local hospital, officers said last night.

Police did not disclose any names as investigations are ongoing.

The incident took place in an six-floor residential building on Yangpu's Jiangpu Road at about 6:30pm, when a woman, who is believed to the apartment owner, returned from work, a witness said.

Police said they found burnt charcoal inside the room.

Family members, who rushed to the scene after hearing the news, declined to be interviewed and threatened a reporter.

A resident, surnamed Dong, on the fourth floor, said a couple in their 30s own the apartment. They have a son aged about four or five.

The man was staying at home with two friends, said Dong.

The couple would drop by occasionally as they have other apartments, said a neighbor, who said the man is surnamed Qin.

The child is usually looked after by his grandfather, added the neighbor.

The couple are nice people who married about five years ago, said neighbors.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend