Related News

Home » Metro

Swimmers complain chlorine poisoning

Nine people, including two children, suffered chlorine poisoning after swimming in a gym in Shanghai's Baoshan District last night.

One man, surnamed Wang, is still in critical condition and his trachea was cut open in emergency treatment. He suffered from urinary and fecal incontinence, doctors in a local hospital said.

Police said that initial investigation found the gym staff of the Vera Fitness Club illegally made a chlorine solution to disinfect the pool, which caused poisoning.

The victims said they inhaled in pungent gas in the swimming pool around 9pm last night. Some fainted at the scene.

Wang was carried out of the pool, a witness said. A worker was seen opening a bucket before the incident happened.

Gym members said the pool is usually sterilized after 9pm each day.

Police investigation is still ongoing.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend