Related News

Home » Metro

Victim's family claims to be stalked

POLICE said they will investigate after the family of a man killed in a residential building collapse claims it has been followed ever since the accident.

The Minhang district police confirmed that 11 family members of the building collapse victim Xiao Dekun's were brought to the Minhang Police station Meilong Town branch on Saturday after scuffling with four unidentified people. They stayed in Meilong Town police station from 8am to 4pm making depositions, Southern Metropolis Daily reported today.

The family came to Shanghai after the 13-floor building toppled on June 27, killing the 22-year-old native of Anhui Province.

Xiao was reportedly killed as he went to retrieve tools but his coworker Chen Tanze said that Xiao was looking for a missing worker.
His body was retrieved at 9:15 pm on the day the building collapsed. He was to be married in October, according to Li Yun, the victim's mother, the Guangzhou-based newspaper said.
Li and the other 10 family members told the newspaper that they had been stalked for a week by four people wearing dark glasses. The four followed the family members wherever they went and even monitored them in the hotel where the family was staying while they arranged the funeral.

Li told the newspaper that she was pushed down to the ground in a brawl when the two sides confronted each other at 7am in the Jinjiang Inn cafeteria.

The two sides were then taken to the police station.

Xiao Tao, an uncle of the victim, said he suspected that the "stalkers" were sent by Meilong Town where the building was situated.
The family complained to the newspaper that they had not been able to see the body of Xiao until four days after his death.

"The body was tagged John Doe in the hospital, yet Xiao's ID card was in his pocket," said the mother.

The family still has to stay for a while in Shanghai for more negotiations with Shanghai Meilong Aluminum Alloy Decoration Co, Xiao's employer, over compensation. The family has asked for 1 million yuan (US$146,412) while the firm said it would pay 685,000 yuan (US$100,000), according to the newspaper.

Police said they had no official comment.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend