The story appears on

Page A4

October 13, 2010

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro » Health and Science

Child's Pizza Hut drink had metal in it

A PIZZA Hut restaurant is under investigation after a toddler swallowed pieces of metal in a drink.

Pizza Hut officials told the Shanghai Food and Drug Administration yesterday that the accident was caused when a worker put a stainless steel spoon into an ice crusher by mistake.

An FDA deputy director, surnamed Qi, said they had seen the spoon and saw the damage to its surface.

"Pizza Hut could face punishment for the worker's mistake. A decision will be announced when the investigation comes to an end," said?Qi.

FDA officials have urged Pizza Hut to tighten up on training and management to avoid similar accidents.

Chen Zheng, father of the three-year-old, said the incident happened on August 1 at a Pizza Hut on Longming Road where the toddler drank a cup of "Mango Kiss." Chen spotted tiny metal shards in the drink.

"I stirred the drink a little bit and about 10 pieces of tiny metal shards were discovered, some shining with horrible sharp edges," he said.

Restaurant staff offered to replace the drink but Chen took a spoonful as a sample and sent it for analysis.

"The result showed the drink contained chromium, which could be?very harmful to the human body," said Chen.

He took his son to the Children's Hospital of Fudan University the next day and an X-ray showed what was likely to have been metal in the toddler's stomach, he said.

He demanded that Pizza Hut agree to take responsibility for any problems his son might have in the future because of the metal shards, but company officials rejected his request.

Chen said he plans to sue Pizza Hut because he was not satisfied by company officials' responses to the incident over the past two months.

He said he didn't receive any formal apology from Pizza Hut and Wu Dong, one of the company's public affair workers, only offered to give him 1,000 yuan (US$150) in vouchers.

"Can you believe that?

"They want me to spend another 1,000 yuan at their restaurant after that accident," said Chen.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend