The story appears on

Page A5

December 25, 2013

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro » Society

28 workers survive poisoning after lunch

TWENTY-EIGHT workers at a construction site in the Pudong New Area suffered from food poisoning after eating their lunch provided  by Yongjiang Catering Co.

Early investigation pointed to nitrite poisoning, the Shanghai Food and Drug Administration said yesterday.

All the 28 workers were rushed to the Shanghai East Hospital from Monday night to the wee hours yesterday  with symptoms like nausea, vomiting and headache.

All were later discharged from the hospital.

According to the doctors, all patients were male and in their 20s and were brought to the hospital in ambulances. Some people had turned purple all over the body.

The hospital found traces of nitrite and immediately reported the incident to the Pudong FDA.

It was the second nitrite poisoning case in Shanghai in a week.

Two boys died but their grandfather survived after reportedly consuming nitrite in Qingpu District last Wednesday.

The two brothers, aged six and eight, and their 76-year-old grandfather Yu Ganming were found unconscious at home and were rushed to Zhongshan Hospital.

The boys were declared dead but the grandfather regained consciousness after emergency treatment.

FDA investigation found Yu got the nitrites from a deserted delicatessen and used it to cook for three days.

Dry nitrites are typically white or crystalline powder and are mainly used for industrial production. The compound is toxic. Consumption of just 3 grams of nitrites can be fatal.



Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend