Related News

Home » Metro » Society

Landlord responsible for killer heater

A LOCAL landlord was ordered to pay more than 520,000 yuan (US$76,085) yesterday to the family of a man who died from an electric shock in one of his apartments.

The landlord, surnamed Sun, renovated a three-room house in Songjiang District, adding two bathrooms to make three apartments.

A migrant woman, surnamed Feng, rented one of the apartments last March, paying 600 yuan a month.

On the night of June 25, Feng's boyfriend, surnamed He, was watching television in Feng's bedroom when he heard her scream from the bathroom. He kicked down the door and found Feng unconscious.

He tried to revive her but suffered an electric shock too and died. Feng was able to be revived and survived the shock, the Songjiang District People's Court heard.

He's father sued Sun for more than 570,000 yuan compensation, saying Sun did not make the house safe and, further, he himself had installed the water heater that electrocuted his son and Feng.

Sun said the plaintiff did not have any evidence to prove the water heater was the source of the electric shock and that he should ask Feng for compensation because He died trying to save her.

The police, however, confirmed that He died from an electric shock from the water heater.

The court said Sun was wrong to alter the house, making changes that increased the possibility of an accident.

The landlord installed the heater and should take full responsibility for He's death, according to the court.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend