Related News

Home » Metro » Society

Potentially dangerous stoves are confiscated

LOCAL quality authorities confiscated more than 200 substandard gas stoves over the weekend.

The stoves had a high potential for leaking gas and were a safety hazard, according to the Shanghai Bureau of Quality and Technical Supervision.

Three brands of electric cookers and one brand of electric kettle were also deemed potentially dangerous and sent for tests, officials said.

The products were found at the Guangcai Market on Zhenbei Road in Putuo District. The gas stoves were found to have nothing to prevent their flames accidentally being extinguished.

"This could have resulted in a gas leak, and so it's against the law," said Yang Zhenmin, an official with the bureau.

The dangerous stoves were branded Huier, Philipte and Red Dragonfly, and priced from 40 yuan (US$5.85) to 90 yuan.

In addition, a Sanjinjiao-brand electric stove was found to be lacking a connecting screw to fasten wires, which "may cause a poor contact and the power to fail," said Xiong Xinjian, an official.

The owner of the shop where the stoves were found, who identified himself as Jin, said he knew he was not allowed to sell the stoves but went ahead anyway "because many other shops are selling them, too." The bureau will fine Jin according to the total price of the substandard stoves and investigate the manufacturers, officials said.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend