The story appears on

Page A5

April 16, 2014

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Metro » Society

Wire theft causes home appliances to blow up

HUNDREDS of electrical appliances in more than 170 households in Putuo district were damaged yesterday morning as a result of a power surge caused by thieves cutting through a supply cable.

The affected homes were in the Taopu neighborhood on Xuesong Road, where a resident surnamed Wu said he knew something was wrong when he saw smoke rising from his TV set.

“I also heard crackling noises coming from the fridge and the water heater, and then everything stopped working,” he said, adding that his neighbors had similar problems.

After being alerted to the incident, which happened about 5am, workers from the electricity bureau discovered that about 100 meters of cable had been taken. They then reported the matter to the police.

The bureau said that when the cable was cut it caused a power surge and that was what damaged the appliances.

The electricity supply was returned to normal by 10am, though officials said it will take several days for technicians to repair the appliances.

The wire theft is the second in the neighborhood in just over a month, police said, adding that thieves are attracted to the area because of the lack of surveillance cameras.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend