The story appears on

Page B12

October 24, 2009

GET this page in PDF

Free for subscribers

View shopping cart

Related News

Home » Sports » American Football

Raiders coach 'will not face charges'

OAKLAND Raiders coach Tom Cable won't face charges after being investigated over allegations that he assaulted one of his assistants, ending a two-month saga that was a cloud over the National Football League team's season.

Napa County district attorney Gary Lieberstein said on Thursday that the investigation concluded no charges were warranted.

Cable has denied the charges from the beginning and said shortly before the district attorney's announcement that he trusted the legal system.

"The Raiders organization waited patiently for a comprehensive legal process to conclude and now this matter has been resolved," Raiders spokesman Mike Taylor said. "Our focus has been and remains on the New York Jets."

The alleged attack occurred at the team's training camp hotel on August 5 in Napa, after Cable called Randy Hanson into a meeting with defensive coordinator John Marshall and defensive backs coaches Lionel Washington and Willie Brown.

Broke his jaw

Hanson told Yahoo! Sports this month that Cable came up from behind him and knocked him out of his chair. Hanson said he broke his jaw and cracked two teeth after hitting a table. Hanson also alleged that Cable threatened to kill him before the other coaches pulled him away.

Lieberstein said it was his belief that there was not enough evidence for a jury to convict Cable of any offenses beyond a reasonable doubt.

Lieberstein said interviews with witnesses established that Cable did not punch Hanson or make any verbal threats. He said the evidence showed that Cable became angry and rushed toward Hanson, but one of the assistants stepped between the coaches. Cable ran into the other assistant, who bumped into Hanson and knocked him out of his chair. The witnesses also told authorities that Cable then grabbed Hanson by the shirt but never struck or threatened him.

Lieberstein also said that because Hanson did not file a police report at the time of the alleged incident, police were unable to search the hotel room for any physical evidence that might have corroborated Hanson's story. He said Hanson did not talk to the police until the end of September, which delayed the case.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend