Related News

Home » Sports » Baseball

Umpire hit on head with a broken bat

Home plate umpire Kerwin Danley left the field on a stretcher after being hit in the head by a broken bat in the sixth inning of Tuesday's game between Texas and Toronto.

Crew chief Dana DeMuth said Danley was taken to the hospital with a possible concussion but did not lose consciousness.

"He was in a lot of head pain and didn't want to talk," DeMuth said. "But he knew where he was and he said he had feeling in everything."

DeMuth and the rest of the umpiring crew planned to visit Danley in hospital and bring him his things.

With one out in the sixth, Rangers designated hitter Hank Blalock's bat broke on an infield pop. A large piece flew back and hit Danley on the side of the head, knocking him to the ground.

"It was a high and inside fastball, a cutter that broke my bat," Blalock said. "I heard something happen behind the plate and I figured the barrel hit somebody. As soon as the out was made I turned around and Kerwin was lying down. I felt bad, it was an accident."

Blue Jays catcher Rod Barajas immediately called for assistance and trainers from both teams ran to Danley's side.

"It didn't sound good, it was a pretty loud thump," Barajas said.

"I was hoping he'd get right back up and shake it off but his eyes were closed and he wasn't making any movements and he wasn't talking. That was a bad sign."

Blalock briefly stood and watched first-aid personnel treat Danley before returning to the dugout.

Only Toronto's outfielders remained on the field during the stoppage.

"It was scary," Rangers manager Ron Washington said. "Hank was a little upset for a while, too. You don't ever want to see anybody get hurt."

Blalock said he felt bad about the "freak" accident.

"I heard he's OK, just a mild concussion," Blalock said. "I'm kind of hanging out, make sure I get a hold of him to apologize and make sure he's OK."

Danley, who wears a hockey-style mask, was carted off the field. Hunter Wendelstedt moved from second base to home plate and the game resumed after a 10 minute delay.


Copyright © 1999- Shanghai Daily. All rights reserved.Preferably viewed with Internet Explorer 8 or newer browsers.

沪公网安备 31010602000204号

Email this to your friend